Music lists for inspiring writing
I am trying to jolly myself out of the doldrums. I can think of a few things that would cheer me up. Chocolate chip cookies fresh and hot from the oven. Swimming in the ocean on a hot summer day. Receiving an acceptance letter. Getting praise from a stranger. Sleeping in all day. Reading a new book by a favorite author.
Of all those things, music is most instant and non-fattening. It doesn’t rely on other people.
When I’m really in an awful mood, I listen to angst music and just wallow in it. When I want to cheer up I search my I-tunes for the just right song, the song that says what I want it to say. Lyrics are very important. When I’m struggling with writing, I find songs that fit the characters or situations. Putting together a play-list can be a creative endeavor in itself. I sometimes give myself a theme song to get myself through the day.
Some “angst” songs:
- Unfinished by the Barenaked Ladies
- Get Gone by Fiona Apple
- Dragons Den by Katherine Crowe
- Memo to Human Resources by They Might Be Giants
- Invisible by Skylar Grey
Some “cheer up” songs
- Shake it out by Florence and the Machine
- Do it Anyway by Ben Folds Five
- Better Day by Saving Jane
- You and Me by Dave Matthews Band
- The Climb by Miley Cyrus
- Message to Myself by Melissa Etheridge
- Sing by Dresden Dolls
Have you been able to change your mood or get through something with the right song?